Broadsword Comics and Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some questions and general information.

3 posters

Go down

Some questions and general information. Empty Some questions and general information.

Post  Hexus Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Alright, I'm looking for some information here, as it's been quite some time since I've participated in any tabletop games. While I'm not THAT old, I'm old enough to remember when all the figurines were metal, when Ral Partha did about all of them, and when Warhammer 40k tabletop was pretty new to the scene and Battletech was king. I used to paint miniatures and have won awards at Gen Con for it as well. However, it's been a long time and I've never painted plastic miniatures. I will assume that mostly it's the same general purpose. Prime, base coat, etc. My question is that the Games Workshop paints seem extremely expensive, especially when you have options like Testor and Tamiya out there, thoughts on that? I already ordered my box of Assault on Black Reach, even though I haven't entirely decided if I'm going to play Space Marines or Necrons, I like the Necrons and I think I'd thoroughly enjoy painting them. The overall price for amount was too good to pass up for the box set of Assault on Black Reach. I work for the Railroad, and I only moved down here to Jacksonville about a year and a half ago. I have 2 small children so that's kind of taken me away from gaming for a while, unless it's at home on the console or on the computer, so hopefully I'll migrate back to it. Hopefully you guys will see me around. I just as easily could've ordered my stuff from an online store, but I honestly believe in supporting local business, and half the fun of playing these games is the social interaction that some of us miss out on too much as it is.

Thoughts/Comments welcome.

-Mac Harris-

Hexus

Back to top Go down

Some questions and general information. Empty Re: Some questions and general information.

Post  emip Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Welcome back to the hobby.

Any waterbase acrylic paint will do even the .99 cent craft paints from Wal-mart, but if you want quality I suggest the Games Workshop Foundation paints. These puppies are loaded with pigment and don't loose their color when painting over black primed figs.

As far as plastic figs, I discovered that layering is the best technique on them. Dry brushing not so good, as the paint does not want to stick on the less porous plastic surface. It takes some time to get use to but you will grow to love plastic figs, especially if you do a lot of conversions.
emip
emip

http://guardiansclub.nexo.com

Back to top Go down

Some questions and general information. Empty Re: Some questions and general information.

Post  Hexus Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 pm

So you would say then that washing is much more effective on plastic than dry-brushing? Man I used to love me some dry brushing. It's funny, I did some mechs for some people in Indianapolis in Football team colors one time, Minnesota Vikings, Indianapolis Colts, etc.

Hmm, gonna have to rethink some paint schemes if dry brushing doesn't work as well on plastic, definitely. Will drop by for some tips when I get started.

Hexus

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 am

Hey welcome back. I feel your sense of familiar but alien table top game world. I am a bit older than you. When I started gaming, it was Ral Partha but pretty much limitied to D&D and Gamma World. And I loved to paint them, even though they just sat in front of us as we RPG'd. And GW who? I left gaming for a long time (grad school, kids, etc.) When I came back because my son became interested in a game -there were table top games galore and lots of cool stuff to paint.

I really love to paint (there are pics of a few of my things in the warmachine/hordes thread as well as the market thread). I certainly do it better than I play. As emip noted, just about any acrylic paint works but some are better than others. Howver, there are tricks to make even the .99 bottles of apple barrell paints from Walmart work quite well and at a much better price. There are a few of us around that really love the hobbying side of these games, and we really like sharing ideas about painting. Billy K (one of the store's owners) is one of the painters. He's got great stuff on display in the shop. My name is Mitch, and a great gent, whose handle on this forum is Feverdream is another. And, you'll occasionally find us hangin at the store painting.

So, welcome back.
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down