Bag of Bollocks!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bag of Bollocks!

Post  fred_reed on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 pm

I generally cannot be bothered with forums. However, after I was informed of this dispute, I thought to have a read as it currently seems to be the hot topic. Let me make it clear that I am not a member of the Guardians nor do I have any particular attachment to War Dogs or Broadsword as I don’t frequent either shop.

Now for an introduction. My name is Fred Reed. I am the chap who played Justin in the first round of the past RTT. Most of you, I do not know. It should be said that I am bit more than just a good painter with an accent - which Justin alluded to (although I am that as well!).

Before I moved to the states from the UK, I worked twelve long years with Games Workshop. During that time, I attained a pretty high status (Regional Hobby Manager for the Southwest of England). In addition to being a Golden Daemon winner and Staff Slayer Sword winner, I oversaw the operations of GW stores across the UK and the Netherlands. I helped to plan and organize more tournaments and Games Days than I can recall. In addition, I am still personal friends with many of the senior staff and rules designers at GW. I helped produce the 3rd edition 40k rules, as well as the 3rd edition Imperial Guard and Chaos Space Marine Codex. Have a look back and you will see my work throughout these publications. I have also been featured numerous times in White Dwarf and the Citadel Journal (God rest its soul!). The point to all of this is that I do consider myself to possess just a bit of insight when it comes to the hobby. I did find it offensive that Justin and others were so dismissive of knowledge and experience.

In my personal opinion, there is no right or wrong way to play a game of 40k. Some people like a lot of terrain and some like a little. The rules provide for an accepted norm which is accepted by most players and seen at most tournaments. People who generally are beardy gitz and like to argue are the smallest percentage of the overall gamers. That being said, it seems to be just the bunch that is most attracted to Ard Boyz style of play. This will be my only post on this topic. Take it for what it’s worth!

I did not enjoy my game against Justin. He was not an enjoyable opponent. His war of words against Gabe and the others is wholly and completely unwarranted and unjustified. Justin’s original post was utterly ridiculous and without merit. I found Gabe’s initial response to be a useful critique and if anything too nice considering the circumstances. By all accounts, it was spot on! I will say his second response did not do him any favors.

All of Justin’s responses, including the one that started it all, have been mean spirited and offensive in my opinion. Those by his friend and wife were even more astounding - especially considering they weren’t even there! Attempts by Gabe to end the dispute have resulted in more increasingly rude responses. Gabe spells out a rule in a direct quote complete with page reference and Justin responds with name calling. Consistently failing to acknowledge the rules or engage in meaningful debate all the while blaming Gabe for the state of affairs! Remarkable! I think it’s a bag of bollocks! Take it for what it’s worth but here is the bottom line:

Based on the behaviour I witnessed first hand during our game and observing Justin’s interaction with Hector, Joseph, and Gabe, combined with the resulting war of words, I can assure you with utmost confidence that had this had happened in any of the stores that I oversaw the operations of, Justin would have been told in no uncertain terms not to ever set foot in any of them again. If on one of the few occasions I do get to play in a tournament Justin shows up again, don’t bother unpacking your miniatures if you’re playing me mate. You can have the win. Cheers!

fred_reed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bag of Bollocks!

Post  Dashofpepper on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 pm

fred_reed wrote:

All of Justin’s responses, including the one that started it all, have been mean spirited and offensive in my opinion. Those by his friend and wife were even more astounding - especially considering they weren’t even there! Attempts by Gabe to end the dispute have resulted in more increasingly rude responses. Gabe spells out a rule in a direct quote complete with page reference and Justin responds with name calling. Consistently failing to acknowledge the rules or engage in meaningful debate all the while blaming Gabe for the state of affairs! Remarkable! I think it’s a bag of bollocks! Take it for what it’s worth but here is the bottom line:

Fred, my first post on the War Dogs forums was insightful, respectful, and well-thought. The comments it garnered spoke to those two things. I quoted rules "in direct quotes complete with page references." Gabe responded to my initial post with...name calling. By comparing me to the (quote) ***holes that he works with. With rude words noting only that I had no right to question his understanding of the rules.

Are you sure that you aren't mixing the two of us up?

Dashofpepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dodiez on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Man, Fred. I like you, and think you're nice, however I WAS there, especially at the end. I even remarked on your models, and you showed me quite a few. Was I invisible? Am I that forgettable? I guess so, since no one even remembers that I was even freaking there.

However you feel about Justin is your own opinion and you can think what you like, but I know how Gabe treated me and what the final game terrain looked like and you can't tell me different.

You weren't there when I was speaking to Gabe and can't therefore speak as to what was said. My facts stand, regardless of your opinions. It doesn't matter, but you stating that I wasn't there at all is just incorrect.

Sorry, mate.
Dodiez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bag of Bollocks

Post  jainzaar on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Thank you for your post Fred Reed!

Um, Justin I am pretty sure he doesn't have us confused considering I did not play him at all at the RTT and he mentions playing you in the first round. That would indicate that he isn't senile and knows who you are.

I just wanted to say goodbye. I think you must have an Ard Case built around your head! (Good natured Ork reference!). If ever we are paired to play in a Tournament in the future, I propose that we either take a draw or do a roll off in front of the judge. High roll gets a win with no bonus. This would seem to be the thing to do and is inline with the Most Important Rule (Page 2). I have no desire to exchange any further banter at this point and I certainly have no desire to play a game with you. Good luck to you in the future and with the hobby. Ciao!

jainzaar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dashofpepper on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Gabe, there's no need for a roll-off in a match - just abide by the rulebook the best you can, as I will, and we'll get along fine.

*EDIT* And I'm not supposing that he confused us at the tournament; I'm supposing he confused us in the forum posts; if he were to write the same thing, but invert the names for the forum posts, he'd be spot on...

Dashofpepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cronickain on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Oh no, that's not condescending in the least.

Cronickain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum