Broadsword Comics and Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on Models/painting

+3
Fozy
Feverdream
Teraphon
7 posters

Go down

Opinions on Models/painting Empty Opinions on Models/painting

Post  Teraphon Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:55 am

I've been working on some modified Cadian Imperial Guardsmen and wanted to get a little feedback from you guys. What I've done is pretty simple rally but I've removed the stock heads from the guardsmen and added some Catachan jungle fighters heads, on one of them I also shaved down the sleeves of his shirt and painted them to look like bare arms.

[img]Opinions on Models/painting 810[/img]

[img]Opinions on Models/painting 911[/img]

Just to let you guys know, This is Michael, I was up at the shop with my friend steve on tuesday. Randy and all the guys were really helpful and happy to help us learn the rules and play through a game. It's really refreshing to find a game shop where people areopen to people who are just starting out and don't shun people just because they are new to a game or hobby. We both really appreciate the hospitality and friendliness of the staff and everyone who was there and so willing to help out a couple new guys.

Thanks!

Teraphon

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Models/painting Empty Re: Opinions on Models/painting

Post  Feverdream Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 am

Hello Teraphon! Welcome to the boards and welcome to the hobby.

You look like you're off to a good start, though you probably don't want to take my opinion on it. I'm always trying to get opinions on my painting as well, and often feel I don't do good work. Anyway, I think my computer monitor ain't the best, because I can't see the models well. I have an old laptop that has a pretty dark screen. From what I can see, however, it would seem your models could use some inking/shading. Of course, that's my solution to EVERYTHING! You could always experiment with Citadel's Devlan Mud, or another of their washes. People have had great results. These will make the facial features and musculature of your Cadians stick out.

Otherwise, I repeat: You're off to a good start!

Best to ya!
Feverdream
Feverdream

Back to top Go down

Post  Fozy Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 am

Best IG/Catachan O face ever. hehehe Like how you did the camo looks great.
Fozy
Fozy

Back to top Go down

Post  Teraphon Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm

any tips on how to get a little more definition/details in the face, I thought about laying down a layer of like bestial brown then drybrushing the flesh color on. any other ideas?

Teraphon

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Models/painting Empty Opinions on Models/Painting

Post  DoktorM Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Teraphon wrote:any tips on how to get a little more definition/details in the face, I thought about laying down a layer of like bestial brown then drybrushing the flesh color on. any other ideas?

You have a great start. The camo is very good. I would follow Roy's suggestion with using a wash. If I want an easy but nice looking flesh for masses of troops, I tend to use flesh, then Ogryn Flesh wash, then highlight with flesh. Then you can paint eyes, teeth, etc. to your liking or comfort with a fine detail brush. I think your flashlights would also benefits from a Badab Black wash or ask Roy about his secrets concerning how to make and use washes to a nice effect. I would be happy to show you, if I am around the store as well.

Mitch
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasher Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 pm

This month's issue of WD has an excellent by-the-numbers face tutorial in the back. Also, paintingclinic.com has an extensive listing of how-to stuff. Alot of it is tedious to do but when through it's stupid cool.

Thrasher

Back to top Go down

Post  Feverdream Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm

DoktorM wrote:
Teraphon wrote:any tips on how to get a little more definition/details in the face, I thought about laying down a layer of like bestial brown then drybrushing the flesh color on. any other ideas?

You have a great start. The camo is very good. I would follow Roy's suggestion with using a wash. If I want an easy but nice looking flesh for masses of troops, I tend to use flesh, then Ogryn Flesh wash, then highlight with flesh. Then you can paint eyes, teeth, etc. to your liking or comfort with a fine detail brush. I think your flashlights would also benefits from a Badab Black wash or ask Roy about his secrets concerning how to make and use washes to a nice effect. I would be happy to show you, if I am around the store as well.

Mitch

Sure, if you want to learn from Roy's School of Painting Half-Assery. I'm starting to learn to do detail work, myself, but my Cryx army has grown so large, I've gone back to half-assing my own models.

Don't worry, Chris! I'm not cheating with your Cygnar models!
Feverdream
Feverdream

Back to top Go down

Post  Teraphon Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 am

awesome, Thanks for the tips guys, and keep them coming, like I said, I'm still really new to this but am enjoying it immensly...

I'll probably be running up to the shop to pick up some paints and such tomorrow.

again guys,
Thanks!

Teraphon

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 am

Sure, if you want to learn from Roy's School of Painting Half-Assery. I'm starting to learn to do detail work, myself, but my Cryx army has grown so large, I've gone back to half-assing my own models.

Don't be so modest. Razz You know what you're doing. One way of telling such is a person that can turn the levels of their painting up an down as they see fit, and you are one of those painters. And your 'half-assing' is the envy of many others. Mitch
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  Feverdream Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Okay... I just wanted to post somewhere about paints. I just picked up a few Reaper "triads", which are packs of three paints that are supposed to serve as a base-coat, shade, and highlight. I must say, I'm supremely impressed. Especially with their "Flesh" lines. If I had to paint a bunch of Cadians, and I wanted a very diverse population to draw from, the Reaper Triads seem to make it quite easy.

I still add Future Floor Finish to all my paints, though. Razz
Feverdream
Feverdream

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 am

[quote="Feverdream"]Okay... I just wanted to post somewhere about paints. I just picked up a few Reaper "triads", which are packs of three paints that are supposed to serve as a base-coat, shade, and highlight. I must say, I'm supremely impressed. Especially with their "Flesh" lines. If I had to paint a bunch of Cadians, and I wanted a very diverse population to draw from, the Reaper Triads seem to make it quite easy.

Agreed - Reaper Flesh Triads are my choice for skin. I particularly like the elf flesh triad, as the shadow is just right for human flesh as well. They also mix well with washes to alter their tint when I want to darken the tones. Mitch
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  arcaspiff Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:27 pm

I am actually new to the game as well. I do not know the rules and only have a small group of about 8 space orks, but here is my painting so far. (keep in mind i was not able to get any chaos black at the time)

I think a friend is going to be sending me some orks he does not use any more, so maybe then i will have a decent army to build on. But here are the ones i have painted so far.

Opinions on Models/painting CHOPPA

Opinions on Models/painting ORKROKIT

Opinions on Models/painting ORKROKIT2

Opinions on Models/painting ORKSHOOTA

Opinions on Models/painting ORKSHOOTA2

Opinions on Models/painting ORKSHOOTA3

Opinions on Models/painting ORKCLAW

Opinions on Models/painting ORK1

Opinions on Models/painting ORK2

Opinions on Models/painting ORK3

Thanks for the advice and such.

As for the rule books, do i just need an Ork Codex? or what?

thanks!

Also i know very little about making the bases look better.
arcaspiff
arcaspiff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Are you using a wash (or ink) or are you using a darker green with a lighter green for the highlights? (Its always somewhat hard to tell from pics). However, a good wash is an easy way to gain some realism, hide imperfections and get a game durable paint job. Also, what size and shape of brushes are you using? I recommend round 0/5 to 0/10 for details (these are smaller than even GW detail brushes). These brushes really help to control spillage from some details into others. As for bases, a really easy but nice look without flocking or sanding, is to use a simple flat light earth color on the top of the base with a flat dark brown or black around the edges. The $1 Apple barrel paints with their very flat (almost powdery) results work very nicely for this.

For instance, below is one that is basic colors and a homemade black wash.

Yes, you will need an Ork Codex, if you want to play. I have the newest codex that I'd be willing to sell for $15. I also have a bunch of assembled, primed but generally unpainted orks on the marketplace thread that I am willing to entertain offers on.

[url=Opinions on Models/painting Ardboy1][img][/url]
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  arcaspiff Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:50 pm

once assembled i spray painted them all black, and then went from there. I got some brushes at michaels, i need to see the size, but they go from REALLY FREAKING tiny to average size.
arcaspiff
arcaspiff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:41 am

Black is the forgiving basecoat color - I think. So, it is good to start with. I might be around the store on Sunday (to try to get in a game of Battlefleet Gothic), if I am I will bring amy painting stuff and I could show you some tricks as well as the brushes I prefer (I get mine at Michaels as well). Billy is also really good to talk to about painting minis - he does wicked work. By the way, my name is Mitch.
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  arcaspiff Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:41 am

Yeah, i was wondering if you guys ever had days where people come up and paint. Also, doesn't the Codex give you tips on painting your orks?
arcaspiff
arcaspiff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes the codex has painting tips, but some are also available for each army through the GW website. And, there are folks that regularly paint at the store, but there isn't really a fixed day. Although, having are regular painting gathering isn't a bad idea.
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Models/painting Empty :)

Post  Broadsword Commissar Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say that you are much better than I was when I started. My guys looked like Dwarf Flesh snowmen. If you aren't familiar, my Catachans are the ones under the glass at the store.

Much Kudos.

Very Respectfully,
Randy
Broadsword Commissar
Broadsword Commissar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  arcaspiff Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 pm

also, do you often completely assemble the minis before painting, or do some paint each part?
arcaspiff
arcaspiff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 am

For me it depends on the model. If it will make parts hard to reach, then I paint part before assembly and then touch them up. Otherwise, I assemble whole and then paint.
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  arcaspiff Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm

my possible improvements

Opinions on Models/painting CIMG2972

Opinions on Models/painting CIMG2973

Opinions on Models/painting CIMG2974

I added the skull and knife in the ground!
arcaspiff
arcaspiff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Comin' along, comin' along! A good wash of badab black would really make the definition and details pop! Good job. Better than Randy's dwarf flesh snowmen!
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down