Broadsword Comics and Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social

4 posters

Go down

Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social Empty Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social

Post  Broadsword Commissar Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Everyone,

I would like to extend an invitation to everyone who has become a member of our family here at Broadsword (and yes, this means you if you are reading this) to join us for a round table meeting on Sunday, April 19th at 2:00 PM. We will be opening the floor for all remarks, gripes,concerns, kudos, general groans, advice, challenges, and suggestions. We will also be passing on the general plan for the improvement and expansion of Broadsword.

There will be ice cream for everyone who comes to participate so please, come weigh in. Come and join us as this is your store as much as it is Billy and I's.

Thanks,
Randy
Broadsword Commissar
Broadsword Commissar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social Empty Re: Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social

Post  DoktorM Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Hey,

I made time to come down for this event at 2pm today rather than throw down a quick game at my home with a buddy (among other activities I was obliged to do this afternoon and evening). I did so, because I was asked personally to attend. I stayed an hour and nothing appeared to be transpiring. So, I left, as I had a limited amount of time this afternoon.

Since part of this event today was to be a "family meeting," let me be frank. First, it would be nice if events started and ended as close to schedule as possible. I am not one who has lots of flex time for throwing down a game or playing in tourneys. I, for one, really need for things to start and end close to when they say they will, because I regularly have other obligations I must meet. Without such, I have begun opting out of such events. Second, I was really glad that my son didn't come with us today (which was the initial plan since there would be ice cream, tomorrow is his birthday, and he likes gaming even though he's only 10). The reason I am glad is due to the fact that a number of regular folks seemingly fail to recognize that not everyone wants to hear their profanity. Amongst a small group of friends, at reasonable decibel levels, is completely understandable, as I can and do do it with the best of them. But when you can regularly hear the "F" bomb (and other rated R profanity) when you are at the other end of store from the person saying it, this is unbecoming of a good community of people. It seems odd that I feel the need to say to everyone that the store is neither a private home nor a private clubhouse. It is a public space that has no age limit to enter (e.g. it is not a bar). And, more importantly, it is a business that depends on attracting new customers to its goods and services in order to grow and survive (and its my guess that many of us would not be interested in paying dues in order to cover the expenses of a private club for gaming space -as some gamers do around the world). This is not the first time I have found this to be a problem while at the store (especially when Billy or Randy are not present). And, it is a problem, because it presents a bad picture of gamers to new or non-regular customers, its makes me as a parent less likely to stop by the store with my son who is a burgeoning gamer (both a current and a future revenue stream himself), its generally disrepectful to assume that others who you do not know that well want to hear such talk, and it sours people towards Billy and Randy's business. I know of at least one long-time gamer who expressed his reluctance to support the store, because of what he experienced as the climate during a recent visit. (And who want's "the fun" of having to drive to Beach or Atlantic to find tables and gaming events, because there's no store on this side of town. I sure don't.)

Finally, I will say that I am not perfect and I admit that I have and will slip with the profanity as well, but I want to remind us that we need to think and pay better attention before we speak.

Mitch
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social Empty Re: Broadsword Family Meeting/Ice Cream Social

Post  Iron Duke Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself Mitch.

Ed lol!
Iron Duke
Iron Duke

Back to top Go down

Post  Crixsus Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I concur wholeheartedly!!!! After my last few visits I would feel uncomfortable bringing my children even though they love the miniatures. Face it guys. This hobby relies on two types of folks, older and more mature gamers (who have money) and younger kids whose parents will foot the bill. The environment as Dok described will attract neither.
Crixsus
Crixsus

Back to top Go down

Post  DoktorM Sun May 31, 2009 4:25 pm

As I have obviously ranted in the past when the atmosphere at the store became entirely unprofessional, I wanted to note that yesterday afternoon was a pleasant change of pace from other visits that I found so irritating. There was a good crowd of players, the till was well-tended to, and there was plenty of good, friendly gaming going down (which included an spontaneous magic tourney, I believe). There was plenty of fun razzing one another, but it had a pleasant absence of loud-mouthed (and usually profane riddled) flaming of one another which has concerned and annoyed me in the past. The store was more like the store I have supported and wanted to keep supporting since I moved to JAX four years ago. It made for a great afternoon at the store.
DoktorM
DoktorM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down