Broadsword Comics and Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!)

3 posters

Go down

The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!) Empty The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!)

Post  Dashofpepper Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey folks!

Heidi and I are safely moved to Cary, NC! We've called around to the various game stores today and there's nothing as organized as what's going on in Jacksonville; mostly its all Magic. However, there is one store in a nearby town doing a very cool tournament that's basically a never-ending "King of the Hill" thing. I wrote a short thing about it elsewhere that I'll copy here...maybe Randy could start something similar?

I spoke to the owner (Ron), and I'm excited about what he said. Apparently, a lot of folks from Knightsdale were driving to Cary to go to All Fun And Games, but when he opened his store, they've started coming locally to play. Yesterday (Saturday, February 25th) they had a "seeding tournament" for their "Unending War" 40k campaign. Basically, there's a ladder progression of all the gamers who participate. The goal is to get to the top of the ladder and defend your spot for 3 games, at which point, you win store credit worth all the money in the tournament thus far (minimum of about $35, maxxed at around $70 from what I gathered). When someone gets there and wins, they go to the bottom of the ladder and fight their way up again. Each time you want to challenge someone, you pay $1 for the game; there's no other costs. You and the person you play each pay $1, and the winner moves up (or stays if they are defending) while the loser takes their spot on the ladder. If someone is sitting at the top unchallenged for a while, the store owner (Ron) mentioned giving out challenge tokens to try displacing the guy sitting up top. Each challenge has two weeks to be resolved; I'm guessing that if it hasn't been after that, the challenger gets an auto-advance.

Anyway, without further delay, here's pictures of...ORKTIMUS PRIME
http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=38448

Dashofpepper

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!) Empty Re: The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!)

Post  Tealzooka Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:39 am

Nice way to use a leader board. How do they handle no shows?
Tealzooka
Tealzooka

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!) Empty Re: The Ultimate conversion: ORKTIMUS PRIME! (and an update!)

Post  mdigibou Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 am

Check out the last 4 lines of the first paragraph.

mdigibou

Back to top Go down

Post  Dashofpepper Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Indeed.

If I'm a rung below you, and I challenge you and you don't schedule a game with me in two weeks, then I get an auto-advance to your spot, while you drop down to my spot. Games can be had as often as you like. Smile

Dashofpepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Tealzooka Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 pm

how many games per week do u have to defend? Can a fail challenger ask back to back? Sorry a alot of questions.
Tealzooka
Tealzooka

Back to top Go down

Post  Dashofpepper Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Its not "games per week."

There's a ladder that has everyone participating in it. I'm just joining, so I'll start at the very bottom. At any given time, I presume you have only one person ahead of you and one person behind you, so you're only challenging or getting challenged by one person at a time. You can't skip rungs of the ladder to try challenging out of place.

As for how often you play, that's completely up to you. You *must* settle challenges within two weeks of them being made. If you're challenged, you can play the next day to settle it, or you can play in two weeks. Its up to you. However, if you get challenged and don't play in those two weeks, you lose your rung and go down one, and the person who challenged you moves up to take your spot.

Each game that you play costs $1. If I challenge you, we both pay $1 to the tournament pot when we play our game.

Also, the point value of the games go up as you ascend the ladder. At the bottom, games are 1,000 points (for people just getting into the hobby). At the top, games are 2,000 points. From what I understand there is room for change in there; IE, if we both agree to play 1850, then so be it.

Dashofpepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Tealzooka Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 pm

I really like the point scaling item. Good luck on the ladder.
Tealzooka
Tealzooka

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down